DEC Keyboard Mouse Emulator (was RE: Backing up VAX/VMS?)

Bob Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Sun Jan 13 13:46:34 CST 2008

> Dave Dunfield <dave06a at dunfield.com> wrote:

>Related topic: Keyboard/Mouse emulator?

>I found details of the keyboard and mouse protocol in the back of
>a Microvax manual, and have been toying with the idea of building
>a small embedded controller to take a PC (PS2) keyboard and mouse,
>and emulate the DEC equivalents to the VAX - would anyone else be
>interested in this?

  I'd be very interested, not because I have a shortage of DEC keyboards or
mice, but because it'd allow me to use my VAXstation or PRO-380 on a KVM
switch along with various PCs.  The KVM switch can handle the video, but it
can't cope with the DEC keyboards and mice.

  I suspect that this may not be as easy as you think, but if you're serious
I'll build the hardware if you write the firmware.

Bob Armstrong