Xerox Laser Printer parts (was RE: non-existence of printer collectors...proven wrong)

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Sun Jan 27 15:47:12 CST 2008

On Sunday 27 January 2008 12:44, Bob Armstrong wrote:
>   This recent talk of LaserWriters has reminded me of the Xerox 8812
> printer that I have in the garage.  It's only about 10-12 years old
> and so just barely qualifies as "classic", but I actually want to
> _use_ it :-)  You see, it's a B-sized laser printer and it's great
> for printing schematics or 8-1/2x11 pages "two up" in landscape mode.

LaserJet 5si, 8000, 8100, and 8150s all can print on 11x17" media if
that's good enough for you, though you may have to use the "manual
feed" tray to do it (I think at least the 5si has an 11x17 capable
paper tray, but don't remember about the rest).  You should be able to
find 5si's for the price of "please take it away", and I've been
picking up 8150s for about $50 with the 2000-sheet feeder regularly.
Also, they should be pretty easy to both find, and find parts for,
especially compared to a Xerox laser printer.

One nice thing about the 5si is that the old-style MIO network cards are
just about worthless, though now you can pick up the low-end Jetdirect
810 EIO cards fairly cheaply now too.

Pat