never knew DOS system files were resettable

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Thu Jan 31 13:39:00 CST 2008

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Chris M wrote:
> is there any way to make these visible? I'm trying to
> do something funky, and for some reason XP won't
> *visualize* the hidden files on a boot disk
> (bootdisk.com). I tried unhiding them with attrib, but
> it tells me uh uh. What to do? Yes I did change my
> folder option to display hidden files, but to no avail.

Back in the days when those files were on-topic, . . .
IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS were S_ystem, H_idden, AND R_ead-only.
XP might not let you turn off the Hidden bit unless you also turn off the
System and Read-only bits.
ATTRIB foo -S -H -R

You can floppy boot DOS 7 from Win98, and get a more familiar/cooperative
working environment.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com