Further PERQ Emulator progress (and a download!)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jul 3 11:33:26 CDT 2008

On Jul 3, 2008, at 9:56 AM, Jules Richardson wrote:
>> Includes all you need to get going.  You'll need a Windows machine
>> with .NET Framework 2.0.  (Yes, I hear the jeering from the peanut
>> gallery.  Sorry I didn't write this for your OS.  If you want to
>> help with a Mono port when I get this thing more finished, let me
>> know :))
>
> :-)
>
> Is it written in such a way that a port will be easy? (if it
> *needs* .NET, maybe not! :-)

   That's the whole point of .NET.  Proprietary lock-in is the only
reason Microsoft is in business today.  Sleazy, but very effective.

>   It's beyond my expertise, but my assumption about emulators was
> always that the guts don't really change across (modern) platforms
> - it's mainly the graphics layer that will be tightly coupled to
> the OS.

   The PCB layout software that I use (called, oddly enough, "PCB")
runs on UNIX platforms with X11.  Some time ago, DJ Delorie (of DJGPP
fame, also has a project featured on the front cover of this month's
Circuit Cellar Ink) did a huge amount of work to decouple the innards
of PCB from the GUI.  He calls the result "HID" (Human Interface
Device) and it has been used to create instances of PCB with a Motif
GUI, a GTK+ GUI, and someone (Der Mouse, is he here?) is even working
on a raw X11 GUI.

   That sort of abstraction is nontrivial to achieve, but it is
possible.

> Good work, anyway!

   Seconded!

         -Dave