What is a safe way to clean corrosion?

madodel madodel at ptdprolog.net
Mon Jul 21 10:30:11 CDT 2008

Liam Proven wrote:
> 2008/7/21 madodel <madodel at ptdprolog.net>:
>> I just took apart a Thinkpad 701c that has a BIOS password that I am
>> attempting to clear. There is some powdery residue caked inside the battery
>> compartment that has leaked into a few areas surrounding it.  Is there a
>> safe way to remove this?
>
> I'd like to know too, as this has happened to my TP701C too.
>
> However, I've heard that they are /fearsome/ beasts to strip. "Motie
> engineering" was one description. True?

I had to buy a Torx T1 driver to get the four tiny screws in the front out,
the others came out with a T6 driver that I had.  I haven't attempted to
remove the main board yet, but once the screws are out it was pretty simple
to get the keyboard off.  Disassembly instructions are included in
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/tpvol2.pdf  Hopefully it all
goes back together.

Mark