Sticky cable (was Re: UK1010

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 20 13:39:28 CDT 2008

> On a related subject, the mains cable of my UK101 has become sticky
> where it has been in contact with expanded polystyrene for many
> years. Has this happened to anyone else and does anyone know if this
> is a chemical reaction? It might just be coincidence and maybe I

I beleieve it is a chemcial reaction. I'ce heard reports of house fires
caesed by expanded polystrene loft insulation in contact with
power/lighting cables, the insulation on the latter having failed.

Also, when uou buy a new <foo>, the mains lead is inside a plastic bag,
to keep it away from the polystrenet packing.

> spilt something on it and have forgotten about it. I used a large
> ceiling tile to stand the machine on when I first got it so it would
> not scratch the table and its been there ever since. Yes I know NOW
> about static and expanded  polystyrene (I think its called styrofoam
> in the states), but back then all the 74 series chips I bought, came
> by post pressed into bits of normal white (non antistatic) expanded

It was OK for 74xx and most 74LS parts, but I'd not use it for anything
MOS. And I would have thought the UK101's Processor, RAM and ROM were all
MOST devices...