Experience with ECB bus?

Andrew Lynch lynchaj at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 22 21:18:34 CDT 2008

[AJL>]

Hi All,

Well, it seems like no one has experience with the ECB bus which rather
surprises me as I am sure there are many people on this list from Europe
and/or the UK.

If there is anyone with PCB design experience who could review my design, I
would appreciate it.  The PCB will run at around 4 MHz and some may take it
as high as 10 MHz.  The N8VEM SBC runs at 4 MHz so that is my desired
operating speed but I cannot rule out people modifying their SBCs to run
faster.

Specifically, I am concerned about using the extensive ground fill zones and
also the ground and VCC traces are on both the copper and component sides of
the PCB.  Even though the PCB is small, am I causing potential ground loops
with excessive traces?

I am trying very hard to make low impedance paths to ground and also allow
sufficient low impedance current carrying capacity for VCC.  I suspect the
fully loaded ECB bus would draw maybe an amp or two on the VCC rail.  The
worst case for the N8VEM SBC is about 500 mA or so and much less if CMOS
components are used.

If anyone could help, I would much appreciate it.  The ECB is a rather
uncommon bus in the US but was used extensively in home brew computer
projects in Europe.  The ECB bus is a natural extension of the Z80 and is
very nice to work with not to mention extremely affordable compared to S-100
or STD since you can make your own inexpensive peripherals with a cheap
prototype board ($5) and a DIN 41612 connector ($3).

My N8VEM SBC project uses the ECB bus and will plug into the ECB backplane
when it is available.  I will be selling the ECB backplane connector PCBs to
anyone interested in the same manner as the SBC PCBs are available.  You can
see additional details at the N8VEM website:

http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch