early desktop TCP/IP implementations (was Re: "first" computer on the internet)

Brian Foley bfoley at compsoc.nuigalway.ie
Thu Jul 24 14:13:07 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 08:58:54AM -0700, Cameron Kaiser wrote:

> > I don't think that is correct.  Unless you're claiming that MacTCP was
> > not "built in", which you could claim, but John Veizades would probably
> > have something to say about that.  It was certainly available long before
> > 1995.
>
> I don't believe neither MacTCP nor Open Transport were standard parts of
> MacOS until, in fact, OS 8. When I installed 7.1 and 7.5 (gag), I had to go
> scare up separate networking stacks. I don't remember if 7.6 had anything
> built in but I'm pretty sure Open Transport was still sold separately then
> too.

OpenTransport first shipped on the PowerMac 9500 with System 7.5.2, and
was bundled with System 7.5.3 and later. A standalone installer was
available for System 7.1 and later.

http://developer.apple.com/qa/nw/nw64.html

http://web.archive.org/web/20030407165534/developer.apple.com/macos/opentransport/docs/user/Open_Transport_1.1_Manual.pdf

> They were available, though, even MacTCP for System 6 IIRC.

Yes. MacTCP worked with any version of System 6 or later--I remember
using NSCA Telnet and the like on an SE running 6.0.7. It didn't
ship with the OS until System 7.5.

http://www.amc.anl.gov/ANLSoftwareLibrary/MacShareware(notsupported)/Communications/MacTCP-Watcher-100/Eric%20Behr’s%20MacTCP%20Info

http://www.tengutech.net/help/mac/mactcp.html

http://www.metronet.lib.mi.us/help/ConnectionProblems/SetupDocs/MacOS75.pdf