early desktop TCP/IP implementations (was Re: "first" computeron the internet)

Rich Alderson RichA at vulcan.com
Fri Jul 25 13:56:39 CDT 2008

On Thursday, July 24, 2008, Phil Budne wrote:

> Brad Parker <brad at heeltoe.com> wrote:
>> mmm.  it's coming back to me.  The pc based tcp/ip work done at
>> MIT. That was the first tcp/ip on a pc I think

> This would be Romkey's PC/IP;
> http://www.apocalypse.org/~romkey/from.html

> I think the original version handled only a single TCP connection at a
time!

> Romkey went on to co-found FTP Software (whose clients (ie; FTP) bore
> a charming resemblance to their old-time (PDP-10) counterparts).

Until they didn't.

We had a problem with FTP Software's product on Windows:  We could not
get a
new release to work when attempting to transfer files to anything other
than
the login directory on a TOPS-20 system.  I called them to find out what
was
going on, and was told that we had the wrong syntax for a TOPS-20
directory
specification, and should change our software.

This was at XKL.  We had purchased the 36-bit intellectual property
rights from
Digital, all of us had been using TOPS-20 for years--in some cases for
decades
--and these people were telling *us* that *we* had the syntax wrong.
When I
insisted that they did not know what they were talking about, and
explained why
I believed this to be true, their response was to remove TOPS-20 as a
possible
remote system type from their product rather than to fix the problem.

Rich Alderson
RichA at vulcan.com
Server Engineer, PDPplanet Project                          (206)
342-2239
Vulcan, Inc., 505 5th Avenue S, Seattle, WA 98104           (206)
465-2916 cell