early desktop TCP/IP implementations (was Re: "first" computer on the internet)

Eric J Korpela korpela at ssl.berkeley.edu
Tue Jul 29 17:31:00 CDT 2008

> I don't think that is correct.  Unless you're claiming that MacTCP was
> not "built in", which you could claim, but John Veizades would probably
> have something to say about that.

He might have something to say about it, but it certainly wasn't built
in.  It certainly didn't come with System 6 or early System 7.  (I
stand corrected in my earlier statement, because apparently MacOS
7.5.3 shipped with TCP/IP).   I'm sure we can all agree that "built in
TCP/IP" means "ships with the operating system" and not "you need to
go get this extra software to get 'built in TCP/IP'".

If you use that kind of definition every operating system to which
TCP/IP could be added had built in TCP/IP.  Look, my Commodore 64 has
'built in' TCP/IP.

Eric