powering up older machines - is it safe?

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 4 21:59:13 CDT 2008

> Eric J Korpela wrote:
> > On a 286 PC clone no unique hardware, just flip the switch.  On a
> > TRS-80 Model 3 you might want to turn it off if you smell smoke.
>
> So on a 286 PC clone, you _don't_ unplug it if you smell smoke?  :-)

Actually, my Model 4 emitted clouds of smoke one time when I was using
it. The machine carried on working fine, and I recognised the
(unpleasant) smell of said smoke as being a tantalum capacitor going off,
probably a supply decoupler. I actually finished what I was doing, then
turned it off, pulled the case and replaced the defective capacitor (I
was right..) on one of the disk drives.

On the other hand, when smoke came out of one mf my RK)5sm and I could
see flames throug the front door, I turned off the power at once. The fan
motor insulation had broken down...