Apple Lisa 1 - restoration project

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Mon Jun 30 16:16:29 CDT 2008

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 02:35:05 +0100 (BST)
ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk (Tony Duell) wrote:

> Incidentally, I found some acetic acid (fairly concentrated too), in
> the 'Kosher' section of the local supermarket. I have no idea what
> the intended application of it is, but it's quite useful for cleaning
> up NiCd corrosion too.
Well. Actually acetic acid is the acid in vinegar. Most likely this
stuff is just pure acetic acid without any "flavor".

Remember: If you are going to dilute concentrated acid _allways_ pour the acid into water. Never do it the other way around. Pouring water into concentrated acid may cause the water to heat up quite quick. High enough to make the water boil instantly. The result are drops of water and concentrated acid jumping around. Preferably onto your skin and into your eyes...

> > (I use citric acid in the dark room because it doesn't smell.)
> As a stop bath?
Yes. Actually I use the special photo stuff with ph-indicator. But simple citric acid from the drug store does as well. It is much cheaper then the photo stuff. Unfortunately I got this knowledge after I had purchased the photo stuff already.

Coca Cola should work too as it contains phosphoric acid. (For cleaning. I am surely not going to dip my fibre based photo paper in Coke. ;-) )

Obviously all this stuff works great to remove chalky deposit caused by
water evaporation. E.g. on the water cooling of your mainframe - or
your coffee machine or tee kettle.
--

tsch__,
       Jochen