Commodore 64 Power Supply

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 30 21:59:32 CDT 2008

> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 02:24:16AM +0100, Tony Duell wrote:
> >
> > Making a switching supply to give a 50Hz or 60Hz AC output would be
> > decidedly non-trivial (and IMHO not senisble here). The obvious way to
>
> And yet I've got a couple of C64 power supplies that are most definitely
> switchers.  *Someone* did it, but since they're currently 220 miles away
> it's a bit hard to read the label.

Just to confirm : There are mains swithces, yes? There is no
mains-frequency trandormer in them, rather the mains is recrtified,
smoothed, and then chopped/

How did they get the 9V AC output, and what freqeuncy is it? If it was at
the typial switching frequency of a small SMPUS, I would think the RFI
(from harmonics) would be horrible. And I wouldn't trust the ridge
recifier in the C64 at that frequency.

But to produce it using, say, a full H-bridge cirucit from a DC supply
seems over-complicated too.