Atari score!

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Mon May 5 06:57:14 CDT 2008

Steven Hirsch wrote:
> I returned from a hamfest yesterday with a mountain of Atari 8bit gear:
>
> Atari 800 w/ dust-cover (slight yellowing)
> (2) 810 diskette drives
> (2) 1020 Printer/Plotters (1 new in wrapping)
> 410 Cassette Deck
> 835 Modem
> 850 Interface Adapter

Been too long since I used my Atari stuff....  My parents gave me an
Atari 400
for Christmas years and years ago.... and it grew from there.  My Atari
systems
consist of a 400, 1 or 2 800s, 130XE, 1 or 2 800XL.  I've got a couple
of 810s
(my original with Archiver add on and one I obtained later with a Happy
enhancement)
a 1050 (with US Doubler that I added)

> All original Atari manuals for the above in great condition!
> All power adapters for the above in working condition.
>
> 6 Serial cables
> Box of assorted joysticks and input devices
>
> Huge box of photocopied development tool manuals
>
> Still to come as soon as owner unearths them from his basement:
>
> Several hundred diskettes
> SWP ATR8000 CP/M extension system w/ all manuals and software

I too have one of these.  Mine has a 3rd party hard drive interface module
(SASI I believe) that was used with a Xebec SASI?-MFM bridgeboard.
I have all the stuff to make the HD work... except I don't think I have the
low level formatter... I never did get anywhere with it sadly.

> Looks to be a lot of fun getting this stuff up and learning about it.
>
> I'm thinking of buying one of the SIO2PC interfaces and the APE
> software package so I can transfer images from the internet to
> workable Atari diskettes.  Would appreciate any advice or opinions on
> this.

I have an SIO2PC, but I have not used it as of yet.  I have no
experience with APE.
One of these days I have to get one of my Ataris up and running again...
I should
at least backup my diskette collection at a minimum before they go 'bad'.

> Also, if the owner cannot locate the diskettes, what is the best way
> to go about bootstrapping things?  Where can the various images be
> found on the net and is APE the best way to do this?

If you had a 1050 that did double density there were programs that would
work on
an IBM PC with a 360K floppy drive to write Atari dbl density.   There
are programs
out there with the right FDC that can read/write single (and probably
the Atari
enhanced) density formats (I'm blanking on the name, but someone on the
list here
should be able to chime in with it).

My favorite tidbit from the Atari vs Commodore users years ago was when
playing
Mule on a friend's C64, I pointed out that that he should read the
planet's name
backwards (the planet's name was Irata).... he didn't like that :-) !

Enjoy,

-- Curt