Interconnecting classic computers

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Wed May 7 16:00:30 CDT 2008

> > I believe Tony also has a NetCommander which would let him select which
>
> Actually I have 3 of them. One is the 16 port model (with 16 RS232
> ports), the others are the fixed-configuration 6 RS232/4 Centronics models.
>
> But they do not solce the cabling problem. Nor do they have enough ports
> for all my classics...
>
> -----------Reply:
> Well, that gives you 25 ports; how many more do ya need? At one point we

Well, only given that I only need one connection at a time. If, as I
suspect, you're suggesting using a pair of ports to link a pair of
NetCommanders (1 port on each), you then can't have multiple connections
between machines on the 2 NCs.

I also have a JNT PAD (!). And although this was normally used as a
packet assembler/disassembler to link terminals (and machines) to an X25
network, I believe it can be configured to act as a smart switch. 16
ports,

As regards haow many ports I _need_, I suspect i've got a total of around
10 times that number (250-ish) RS232 ports on all my machines. And
probably over 100 machines with one or more RS232 ports that I might want
to interconnect. Of course I can't possibly have them all set up at the
same time,

> had 4 computer ports feeding more than 200 terminals over a single connection.
>
> Alternately, it would be trivial to build a remotely controlled one-to-many port

One-to-many is easy, many-to-many is slightly harder, and the latter is
what I would need. I am not looking to interconenct one of my classics to
this PC, I am looking to interconnect any pair of my classics

> selector out of relays or solid state parts, and you could use the NetCommander
> just for the units that need baud rate conversion.
>
> Of course the NCs don't solve the cabling problem, that's why I mentioned the

And cabling is what I am primarily interested in.

> cordless phone. But unless you want to manually plug the desired system in
> every time or buy/make separate connecting links for every system, you'd

Given that I can't have lal the machines et up at the same time, there
has to be some plugging/unplugging going on. Doing that is not a problem
(nor do I object ot wiring up adapters for each of my machines to get the
RxD and TxD on a consistent pair of pins in all cases, to loop back
handshakes, and so on).

> need some way of concentrating the systems into one connecting link.

Ture enough.

> Obviously not a solution you'd approve of, but two old laptops with RS-232

Round here 'old laptops' are things like Epson HX20s, PX4s, PX8s, Tandy
Model 100s, Olivetti M10s, HP110s, HP110+s and so on. Rahter _too_ old
for this :-)

> and wireless cards would easily solve the connection problem. Of course
> we usually prefer lengthy discussions here instead of simple solutions...

But is it a simple solution?  I suspect I would find it quicker and
easier to make a PSU and RS232 buffers for an Xbee module (and hope I can
either ignore hardware handshaking or use it with machines that support
it [1]) than to figure out how to configure the software on oen of said
laptops.

[1] Which, alas, excludes my DEC PDP8 and PDP11 machines :-(