Systems based on Fairchild 9440 / 9445

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Nov 4 15:13:37 CST 2008

On 4 Nov 2008 at 11:39, Brent Hilpert wrote:

> I haven't looked into it in depth but it has been a point of interest to me as
> to how Fairchild fell from grace in the 1980s: failing to produce a strong
> contender in the microproc arena?, betting the farm on the wrong technology
> (high-performance bipolar/I3L instead of CMOS?, too focussed on the high-end
> military market?, too much brain drain to other companies? ...

I don't think that was exclusively the case.  Anyone remember the
Fairchild F8?  Around the same time as the 9440, the F8 was hugely
popular in embedded type applications.  The "Channel F" game console
and the Video Brain used them.

But Fairchild took the product nowhere after that.  A very puzzling
company, Fairchild.

Cheers,
Chuck