PDP-8/e and terminals in West Sussex, UK

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Wed Nov 5 23:40:52 CST 2008

On Wednesday 05 November 2008, Steven M Jones wrote:
> Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> > Would something like a Purdue Dual VAX count?
>
> Just out of curiosity, are you referring to a VAX-11/782? It was
> listed on the pricelist, in SPDs, and in the UNIBUS VAX handbooks,
> and consisted of a pair of 11/780's with a shared-memory
> interconnect. Or a special one-off machine created at Purdue?

The Purdue Dual-VAX, not a VAX-11/782.  Also, not a special one-off
machine, as dozens if not a hundred were made, most assembled by Mike
Marsh.  Also, it was created before the VAX-11/782 was offered, and was
a much more sane system design that gave more speed for less $$$ than
an 11/782.

I have a copy of the paper written by Mike Marsh and George Goble on my
website:

http://computer-refuge.org/classiccmp/dp_vax/dual-vax11-780.pdf

Pat