Computer Shopper scans: definitely worthy

jd onymouse at garlic.com
Sat Nov 8 13:20:00 CST 2008

Jeff Jonas さんは書きました:
>> From: "William Donzelli" <wdonzelli at gmail.com>
>> Subject: Re: Computer Shopper scans?
>
>> Like it, or (mostly) not, Computer Shopper
>> is a very important slice of computing history.
>
> I'm not so sure of that.
> It's not a scholarly journal such as the Journal of the ACM,
> but it shows the state of the art for hobbyist & business machines,
> such as price & capacity of hard drives, CPU, RAM,
> when certain peripherals were ubiquitious, etc.

I found it far more consistently interesting than the ACM's journal.
It was the Sears Catalog and Farmer's Almanac for computing at the
time, a broader overview of computer technology than any journal ever
was and it followed the changes in applied technology. That is what
makes it historically significant, like Nuts-n-Volts, QST, and quite a
few other technical rags. It has information you can't find anywhere
else. Just because it's full of adverts does not make it unworthy of
preservation.

A quick and cheap alternative to chemically preservation is to keep
the paper very dry. This will drastically slow the oxidation of the
paper by the acid. This could be done with a hermetically sealed
container and effective dehumidifying compounds or by purging the
container with dry nitrogen.

==
jd