NeXTstation advice sought

Mr Ian Primus ian_primus at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 11 09:37:47 CST 2008

--- On Tue, 11/11/08, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> I *may* soon be acquiring a NeXT slab. Snag is, while it has
> mouse,
> keyboard etc., it has no monitor.
>
> Does anyone know about what kind of connector I'd need
> to connect a
> plain ol' VGA type monitor to it?

> I don't yet know if it's a colour or a mono slab.

The color NeXT monitors connect with a 13w3 connector. I believe that they are fixed frequency, sync on green. A newer VGA monitor that supports sync-on-green should work with some connector adapting. But, the monitor is the LEAST of your worries. You see, I have a color slab too. And a color cube. I also have the keyboard, mouse, color monitor and sound box. And I've never been able to hook any of it up. I'm missing "the cable".

NeXT couldn't just put connectors for everything on the back of the computer. No, that would have been too easy, to useful. For example, there is no keyboard port on the computer. No power switch either - that's on the keyboard. To connect ANYTHING to the computer, you need the sound box. This is a wedge shaped black box with a speaker in it - and the keyboard port. This connects to the computer through "the cable" - a special, three headed cable that connects to the computer, sound box and monitor.

You need the sound box and this wacky cable. I have been unable to track one down, I've been looking on and off for a couple years. Never could find one at a sane price. I once even sat down with the schematics and drew up a diagram of what I thought the cable should be, so I could build one. But, since there is power in the cable, and I wasn't 100% sure I was right, I never built it. I'd love to find a real cable so I can ohm it out and determine the connections.

Good luck...

-Ian