NeXTstation advice sought

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 10:02:18 CST 2008

Mr Ian Primus wrote:
> NeXT couldn't just put connectors for everything on the back of the
> computer. No, that would have been too easy, to useful. For example, there
> is no keyboard port on the computer. No power switch either - that's on the
> keyboard. To connect ANYTHING to the computer, you need the sound box. This
> is a wedge shaped black box with a speaker in it - and the keyboard port.
> This connects to the computer through "the cable" - a special, three headed
> cable that connects to the computer, sound box and monitor.

I think that's highly dependent on the display - the color displays were
rebadged something-elses (Hitachi?) so needed the sound box, but that
functionality was built into the mono displays.

(having said that I'm a little confused though, as I'm sure I used a sound box
with the mono Cube - perhaps there's a difference between the 17" and 21" mono
displays, too?)

cheers

Jules