Wanted: some HP 9000/3xx bits

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Fri Nov 14 23:25:02 CST 2008

> The current color framebuffer offers 6 bit planes.  I'm assuming that
> were I to load NetBSD on it, X would immediately fall over.  My
> experience a few years ago was that dependencies on greater than
> 8-bit color had crept into much of the standard distributions...

Ohly if you go for colour-hungry chrome-filled bloatware like "desktop
environments".  X is not a window system; X is a framework for building
window systems.  Run just a twm and a few xterms and you can do fine
with colour resources as simple as even just 1bpp monochrome.

However, it has been my experience that it takes fairly carefully
written clients to deal well with unusual environments, and 6bpp colour
is unusual.  (When I ported X to the NexT 2bpp greyscale hardware, I
discovered some stuff didn't like 4-entry StaticGray....)

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org