OT Plugging : HP Integral IPC on ebay

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 16 11:55:05 CST 2008

> > HP85   ( just got it, but already tired of it ).
>
> Now that I can understand :-). I've never found the HP 80 series of desktops
> to be particularly interesting.
>
> -tony
>
> > HP85
>
> But it is very easy to use as instrument controller, or CS/SS80 exerciser..

Sue, but I believe CS/80 exerciser software is available for the
HP9000/200 machines (which includes the 9826), and that it has much the
same functionality as the HP85 version.

The HP9000/200 machines have (to me) many advantages over the HP85
series, including an easier-to-use system bus (the HP85 bus is just
strange, the HP9000/200 bus is the 68000 bus with a few more signals),
easier to repair (about the only stnadard chips in an HP85 are the DRAMs,
the 9000/200 machines are almost all standard, with a few PALs and ROMs)
and a nicer selection of I/O cards.

> If you got a 9121 as external drive, tapes are not a real option.
>
> Small OT question do you know how the wires on the HP-65 cardreader head are
> soldered (not the ones on the reader pcb)

I am not sure what you are asking. I have (unofficial) schematics of the
HP65, along with almost all other (repairable) HP handhelds. The card
reader had has 5 wires which are soldered to the card reader PCB, but you
say it's not that end you're interested in. Every head I've seen has been
potted in epoxy, so you can't see how the wires are connected at that
end, or indeed resolder them.

What are you trying to do? I might well be able to help.

Incidentally, why is this OT? The HP65 is certainly a classic (pun
intended). It's also, IMHO, a computer (the internal architecture is that
of procrssor + RAM + ROM (albeit the ROM and RAM are on different
(serial) buses; it is user programmable). I can't think of a sensible
definition of computer which includes things like the KIM-1 and excludes
the HP65.