IDE <-> MFM

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Nov 28 11:34:40 CST 2008

On 28 Nov 2008 at 8:54, Al Kossow wrote:

> The tricky part is generating the recirculating bit stream that you
> send as read data back from the simulated drive. It is expecting the
> data that it just wrote to be in the data read back on the next
> revolution. And you need one of these bitstreams for each head.

You only need to supply one track at a time--and you can hold off the
controller for any swapping you might need to do for a few msec. by
delaying the index pulse. An ST-412 track (surface) holds less than a
track on a 1.44MB floppy--it just spins 12x as fast.

I think it's probably quite doable if there's a market for it.

Cheers,
Chuck