Next Compaq question, was: Re: Compaq Portable II flat CMOS battery

Gordon JC Pearce MM3YEQ gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Wed Oct 1 02:02:38 CDT 2008

Gordon JC Pearce MM3YEQ wrote:
> Before I go hauling all those little Torx screws out (yes Tony I *do*
> have proper Torx bits, unlike the last person to be inside it), can
> anyone point me in the direction of the CMOS battery?
>
> I bet it's right underneath the monitor, or something.

No, it's under the motherboard, one of those awful 3v lithiums.

The next question is - what's that funny header underneath the
motherboard for?  It looks like it's wired as the 8-bit part of an
expansion slot, but it's a bit hard to tell.  I can't even see anywhere
that a cable might come out, if it was something like a modem (which
would make sense).

Gordon