LED displays (TIL305, TIL308, etc.)

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 1 15:26:13 CDT 2008

> On Tuesday 30 September 2008 16:43, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> > Didn't Motorola package one if its early mask-programmed RTL ROMs as
> > a standard BCD-to-seven segment part?
>
> I remember that,  but if you wanted more bits either way than the number of
> bits the chip was set up for their app info had you cascading some absurd
> number of them.

I can't think of why you'd want to cascaed 7-segment decoders in this
way, and wonder if you're thinking of the BCD <-> binary converter chips
that wrre in the Texas TTL range (and which were, I think, programmed
ROMs). 74184 and 74185 I think.

Cascading thos certainly used a lot of said chips, and it was not obvious
at first glance how to extend the cascading for an arbitrary word size.