Unusual software carriers.

Christian Corti cc at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Thu Oct 2 04:26:51 CDT 2008

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008, Jos Dreesen / Marian Capel wrote:
> In addition to radio and teletext, there was also a TV program in Germany
> that transmitted software by burying the data in the first few scanlines of
> the videosignal.

The WDR Computerclub transmitted programs this way, this technique was
called Videodat (later on commercialized as Channel Videodat). You
could/needed to buy a Videodat decoder, you can find these occasionally on
flea markets, but they are totally useless today.

> While the broadcast was running you would see a small box in the upperleft
> corner where you could actually see the data go by.

I don't think so, the data was transmitted in the same manner as videotext
signals.

Christian