Evolution of Memory Protection and Virtual Memory

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Oct 5 23:19:06 CDT 2008

On 5 Oct 2008 at 21:54, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

> I'm looking for reference materials regarding very early implementations
> of virtual memory and/or memory protection.  I'm really most interested
> in exploring the evolution of these features in operating systems.
>
> Anyone have any pointers for me as to where to look for this information?

There are some issues of periodicals I never thow out.  Get your
hands on a copy of Vol. 26, No. 1 (January, 1983) of the
Communcations of the ACM.  This was a special 25th anniversary issue
of the CACM and featured reprints of seminal papers that may be
relevant.

The first that comes to mind is Dennis and Van Horn's "Programming
Semantics of Multiprogrammed Computations" (1966).  Another is Peter
Deming's "The Working Set Model for Program Behavior" (1967).

Hardware memory protection may well go back to the 1950s.  ISTR
Project MAC had some interesting work on virtual memory also.  You
may want to look through 1960's FJCC and FIPS proceedings also.

Cheers,
Chuck