Problems with 2114s

John Robertson jrr at flippers.com
Mon Oct 6 11:03:41 CDT 2008

F.J. Kraan wrote:
> Tony Duell wrote:
>> the card. As soon as I spotted this was implemented with 2114s [1]s,
>> I knew what to do. I replaced them, and put the card back in, not
> I heard before that 2114 are considered unreliable. Is there an
> overview of brands that are not reliable? I have a computer in repair,
> a DAI, 8080 CPU with special stack RAM implemented with 2114s, so that
> could be the problem. But it would be nice to be more sure before
> soldering them out.
>
> An image of the suspect RAM is here:
> http://electrickery.xs4all.nl/tmp/2114s.jpg.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Fred Jan

Hi Fred,

If you have a friend with a Fluke 9010A or 9100 and an 8080 pod you can
thoroughly test your 2111 - 400ns (you pictures shows 2111-4, not 2114s)
RAM without unsoldering them. Actually you can test any RAM that you can
access from the CPU socket directly (with the correct pod of course),
indirect addressing can be done, but you would need to write a small
script or hard poke the locations first...

Why do you want to replace them? The 2114 by the way is no more or less
reliable than other RAM of the period - in my repair experience, they
were VERY common back in the late 70s.

John :-#)#