DEC 40th anniversary CD

Philip Pemberton philpem at philpem.me.uk
Mon Oct 6 17:01:16 CDT 2008

Al Kossow wrote:
> The disc is a hybrid audio/isofs, so I wasn't able to figure out how to
> make
> an image. A tarball of the isofs part is up now under
> http://bitsavers.org/bits/DEC/cd

Assuming you're using Linux or some other *nix variant, "cdparanoia" will
extract the audio tracks as WAV files. Your best bet with those is probably to
compress them as "flac" files (Free Lossless Audio Codec). You can go from WAV
to FLAC and back again, compare the audio data from the WAV with the
decompressed file, and they'll be bit-for-bit identical. Compression isn't as
good as the lossy formats (and if you're going to use one of those, please
make it Ogg Vorbis, bitrate-for-bitrate the quality is far better than MP3)
but if you're after archiving, it's a better choice than keeping WAV files around.

For the ISOFS bit, good old "dd" works a treat. Or perhaps "readcd".

If you want to make an exact copy of the disc, you're going to need something
like cdrdao to read and image the disc and create a "cuesheet" (which
basically tells the authoring software what's on each track and allows you to
use a CD recorder to make a near-identical copy).

--
Phil.
philpem at philpem.me.uk
http://www.philpem.me.uk/