some odds and ends to get rid of

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Oct 8 11:53:26 CDT 2008

On Oct 7, 2008, at 10:27 PM, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
>>    The 2501 in particular was discontinued in 2003.  The last of the
>> 2500 series, the 2525, was discontinued early last year, but it was a
>> very different (modular) design.
>>
>>    They 68030-based 2500 series was replaced by the PowerPC-based
>> 2600 series.
>>
>>    But as far as being the workhorse...most definitely yes.  They're
>> in datacenters everywhere, and will be for a very long time.  They're
>> capable, reliable, pull little power, generate little heat, and they
>> just plain don't break.
>
> That's funny, the "workhorse" of all of the datacenters I've seen
> lately
> are Cisco 6509's and 4948-10GE's, with a few older 3750 and 2950s
> laying around for "legacy" stuff.  I think you're calling
> a "datacenter" what I'd call a "low end wiring closet". :)
>
> Hmm, I guess my environment has helped influence my hardware
> collecting
> habits...

   You lead a charmed life, my friend. ;)

   But no, I was speaking more of "business computer rooms" than
research-class datacenters.  Perhaps I should've been more specific.
Every now and then, I do some consulting work for small businesses,
fixing broken network stuff.  I see 2501s in production everywhere,
terminating T1 lines, that haven't been touched (or rebooted for that
matter) in a decade.

   If they ever go down, they'll likely be replaced by a cheap DSL
circuit (for those whose inbound bandwidth requirement outstrips
their outbound anyway), but most people don't seem to want to fix it
if it isn't broken.

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire