NEC SX-4B on Ebay

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Oct 10 00:52:13 CDT 2008

On Oct 9, 2008, at 11:26 PM, William Donzelli wrote:
>>  The code is being developed on a (slow but cheap to run) YMP-EL,
>> and it
>> will eventually run on a (fast but expensive to run) SV-1.
>
> Who is actually still using an SV1 in production? It is a ten year
> old super.

   Eight, actually.  My employer is about to be, and there are quite
a few others.  With design cycles measured in years rather than
weeks, the supercomputer world doesn't consider things "obsolete" as
quickly as the PC world.  Indeed, the code is being developed on a 25-
year-old super, but admittedly only because it's available and
compatible.

   Besides, SV1ex machines are still pretty pricey, and T90s are
pretty difficult to find, and WAY out of any reasonable price range.

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL