replacing the Model M

David Griffith dgriffi at cs.csubak.edu
Wed Oct 15 19:48:18 CDT 2008

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008, John Floren wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 8:33 PM, David Griffith <dgriffi at cs.csubak.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Now that the current Sun keyboards are USB and don't feel like mush (like
> > the Type 6 does), I'm pondering getting a Type 7.  Furthermore, I'm
> > thinking that perhaps other vendors of Linux machines should start
> > offering Type 7 keyboards.  If you think about it, such a keyboard would
> > be perfect for getting people to use [lu]n[iu]x given the action keys
> > along the left side.
>
> The most important question: is the Control key in the correct
> position? Assuming I could find the extra real estate necessary for
> it, I might even consider trying one of these in preference to the
> Model M I'm using right now, because it looks just like the Type 5's I
> quite like.

That's the rub.  The UNIX model has Control in the right place, but I
never got used to the strange places that Backspace, Esc, \, and ` are.
The PC model fixes this, but then Control appears to be in the wrong
place.  I'd like to get the PC model with a keycap kit to put a Control
key where it belongs.  IMHO, there is no need for a Caps Lock key.

--
David Griffith
dgriffi at cs.csubak.edu