Interesting X terminals (was: NEC SX-4B on Ebay)

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 08:02:19 CDT 2008

Tony Duell wrote:
> There are 5 PCBs inside the case. One just holds 2 LEDs. Another is the
> SMPSU. Which leaves 3 boards for digital stuff. One has the 80188 and
> peripheral interface chips -- I forget the details, but theu're all
> pretty standard. Another has The TMS34010, RAMDAC and lots of RAM on it.
> And the last is a daughterboard for that one and contains 10 or so EPROMs
> containing the XSerer and fonts.

Interesting. I've seen quite a few network interfaces controlled via 80188
CPUs in larger systems around the mid-late 80s - I wonder if they borrowed one
such design and added the ability for it to drive keyboard/mouse interfaces,
or whether they designed the network side from scratch...

I'm not familiar with the TMS34010 though. The only xterm I have is an NCD 88k
one; there's just one main board (CPU, RAM, display) and a daughterboard
(network and ROMs). Same deal as yours, though - takes a standard ps/2
keyboard and RS232 mouse. Video was via a DB26 though, for some obscure reason
(IIRC most of the pins were n/c - maybe they had some future functionality in
mind that never happened)

cheers

Jules