AT&T UNIX PC - Need to hack user/password for access

Keith keithvz at verizon.net
Sat Oct 25 21:56:15 CDT 2008

B Degnan wrote:
> Hi
> One of my students was able to repair an AT&T 7300 (67MB version) UNIX
> PC powersupply.  Now it boots up, but we don't have the username and
> password.  Any suggestions?
> BillDeg

I don't know which exact version of OS you'd have on that, but I will
say that many many initial versions of unix had tons of default
username/pw combinations.  There are lists to be found via google.

If it's a 3B1 running AT&T System V, then I'm almost positive there were
some very popular default accts that had to be removed -- most people
didn't and resulted in many machines being vulnerable.

Also, don't know anything about the file system, but if it's a common
one, you could potentially (and carefully) install the HD into a linux
box, mount it, retrieve /etc/passwd, and crack the sucker.  With today's
machines you might be able to brute-force the keyspace, or worst case,
put a pretty good dictionary attack on it.

HTH

Keith