QUME DT/8 - anyone have a manual/schematic for this?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Oct 28 18:53:28 CDT 2008

On 28 Oct 2008 at 16:23, Rick Bensene wrote:

> Is there a difference between a QT-8 and (what the original poster asked
> about) the DT-8?  I know that the DT-8 was a double-sided,
> double-density drive.

The Bitsavers docs for the 842 identifies the 842 as the "Datatrak
8":

http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/qume/30006_QumeTrak842pd_Apr79.pdf

My own drives are labeled as "QumeTrak 842", but match the (full-
height) drives described in the aforementioned (DT-8) document
perfectly.  It could be that Qume models had a name change sometime
around 1980 or so.

The QumeTrak 242 is the half-height 8", but I don't believe it was
ever referred to as a "DataTrak 8".  It used a DC spindle motor and
did not have native hard-sector (i.e. sector output and 32/16/8
sector selection; also, no optional on-board FM data separator.)  As
far as built-like-a-battleship-ness goes, a poor relative to its full-
height 842 cousin.  But if the OP has the 242, there's a document for
it also on bitsavers.

Cheers,
Chuck