Old Heath Software - New In Box - Query

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 29 11:19:16 CDT 2008

> > I have come acquired a Heathkit Box of an RTTY Software program,
> > unopened and I do not want to open the box and ruin it's value to
> > collectors
>
> I wonder why _anyone_ would want to buy a sealed box of unknown contents and
> then not open it up. Surely the purpose of software (if, indeed, that's
> what's in the box) is to be run on a suitable computer.
>
> -tony
>
> Yep and they all think they have the crown juwels..

When in fact it could be just an empty box. Without opening it there's no
way to know what's inside.

Many years ago, before the web actually, I bought a new, shrink-wrapped
HP71 service manual at an HPCC meeting. The first thing I did, to the
amazement of collectors present, was to rip off the shrink wrap. I
pointed out that I bought the manual to learn how to repair HP71s, not to
look nice on the shelf.

> Are you coming to the mainland this weekend ?
> Going to Allschwil  I mean.(I can't )

Alas not. Thrre's no way I have enough spare money for something like
this. I have to restrict my meetings to those of HPCC, which I can get to
essentially for nothing.