Looking for a ST419

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Oct 30 13:16:39 CDT 2008

On 30 Oct 2008 at 7:44, Jules Richardson wrote:

> So they were LLF'd at the DG plant and the LLF routine never escaped into the
> wild?

What I understand to have been the case is that there were some
"authorized service agents" who had the capability to provide the LLF-
ed drives.  The ugly part was that if a customer obtained a new off-
the-shelf model of the needed drive, the system wouldn't see it.  So
not only did you need a specific drive, but you needed the correct
format on it.

Reminds me of the old Drivetec floppies--formatted with an embedded
servo, so you didn't dare pick up used ones--they could be erased or
have errors that would render them useless.  I've still got some of
the old Drivetec/Kodak drives and some media, but I'm not aware of
anyone offering the media in the last 15 years or so (my last samples
came from the Dysan Sunnyvale plant liquidation).  What do Kaypro
Robie collectors use for blank media?

Cheers,
Chuck