Drivetec Floppy Drives

jim s jws at jwsss.com
Thu Oct 30 15:21:41 CDT 2008

Drivetec was located somewhere around Orange county because a lot of
their engineering parts ended up at
ACP in Santa Ana.  I got a few of their prototype drives that functioned
and a lot of castings and other stuff
that is in a box somewhere in my pile.

I don't recall that the diskettes had a notch.  The ones I had did not
have the usual notch, which was compatable
with AT drives, etc.  They could be inserted in regular drives and not
be writable because there was material
where the usual write protect was located for other floppy media.  I
thin there was a sort of small notch on
the leading edge that was the write protect, but I don't recall a
triangular shape to it.

I had the 3.3mb media, which was eventually scaled up when Kodak tried
to keep the technology going.  I
had a program to write the format and a special controller as well.  I
thought that later versions could
reformat the media, but I could be wrong.  There are or were others here
with more experience with
the Drivetec / Kodak drives.

I think the main thing that I recall was that they used a screw jack
type seek mechanism rather than the
usual method of a servo motor, and one would be reminded of a small
PerSci drive when you watched
it go.  My specimens are too well buried to look any time soon.