HP9133D disk replacement.

Christian Corti cc at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Oct 31 04:37:40 CDT 2008

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008, Tony Duell wrote:
> The 9133H has a set of 3 jumpers on the controller board labelled 'Ident
> Sea'. These seem to set the controller for different geometries, but I
> have no idea what all 16 possiilites actually are. Anyone?

In such cases I usually throw the firmware image at the IDA disassembler
(we actually have bought two licenses) and look how it works. It shouldn't
be a problem at all to locate the geometries table, and I would simply
patch the firmware to work with the "new" drive.
For example, I have disassembled the firmware of the HP 7958A and found
out how to low-level format a foreign ESDI disk (the original one had
failed) with different geometry (the geometry is read from the drive since
it is ESDI). In this case HP-UX mediainit in guru mode was my friend.

Christian