Looking for a ST419

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Oct 31 13:54:49 CDT 2008

On 31 Oct 2008 at 14:22, Dave McGuire wrote:

> > In practical terms, the differential pairs are RS-422, so they are
> > digital, but you need RS-422 drivers and receivers to talk to them
> > properly, and termination on the receivers.  There are many
> > suitable quad driver and quad receiver chips, such as the
> > MC3486/3487 and Am26LS31/32.

What I said.  In fact, no need for quad devices if you're just
emulating a single drive.  There are plenty of dual-unit RS-422
drivers/receivers available.

>    Is the whole interface spec available anywhere?

How about the ST-412 OEM doc?

http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/seagate/ST412_OEMmanual_Apr82.pdf

As a matter of fact, on page 21 it states "NOTE:  ANY EIA RS-422
DRIVER/RECEIVER PAIR WILL INTERFACE".

Cheers,
Chuck