infocom on other systems

Eric Smith eric at brouhaha.com
Tue Sep 2 01:45:00 CDT 2008

Ethan Dicks wrote:
> Fundamentally, I think one would have to scale up all the 16-bit Z-pointers
> to 24-bits internally to a theoretical PDP-8 Z-machine, and there's a lot
> of 16-bit math going on under the hood.

That sounds like the really hard way to write an interpreter for the
PDP-8.  It would be much easier if you just pretend it's an 8-bit
machine, and do 8-bit arithmetic, and 16-bit double precision, just as
was done in the 6502 interpreter.

A fairly naive implementation should suffice for most of the early V1-3
games.  Once those are running, add swapping of impure data, and you'll
be able to run larger games.

Eric