PCjr Telnet Server Test

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Sun Sep 14 11:12:43 CDT 2008

> Oh, what is the deal with backspace/delete?  [...]  Is the PCjr doing
> something non-standard with the handling of such keys, or is it just
> that other telnet servers generally hack such keypress processing to
> accommodate modern clients?

It's using character-at-a-time mode, which causes telnet clients to
send each keystroke to the server directly, thus making line editing a
server responsibility.  Normal telnet connections either use a
full-featured line editor on the server side or use line-at-a-time
mode, in which case the client machine does the line editing.

Here's what I see when I open a connection with options negotiation
turned on in telnet:

telnet> open 97.86.233.68
Trying 97.86.233.68...
Connected to 97-86-233-68.dhcp.roch.mn.charter.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
SENT DO SUPPRESS GO AHEAD
SENT WILL TERMINAL TYPE
SENT WILL NAWS
SENT WILL TSPEED
SENT WILL LFLOW
SENT WILL LINEMODE
SENT WILL NEW-ENVIRON
SENT DO STATUS
SENT WILL XDISPLOC
RCVD WILL SUPPRESS GO AHEAD
RCVD WILL ECHO
SENT DO ECHO
RCVD DO TERMINAL TYPE

Welcome to Mike's TCP/IP testing server

Please enter a nickname to use: RCVD IAC SB TERMINAL-TYPE SEND
SENT IAC SB TERMINAL-TYPE IS "MTERM"

This indicates that the telnet server implementation is at least
slightly broken; it should be sending responses of some sort, even if
negative ones (DONT or WONT, as appropriate), for the other attempted
negotiations (NAWS, TSPEED, etc).

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org