Apollo Guidance Computer

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Sun Sep 21 14:56:00 CDT 2008

Chuck Guzis wrote:

> On 21 Sep 2008 at 10:42, bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca wrote:
> > But that is what made it special - the components at the time.
> > They have 3 input NOR's in tiny logic, so do smaller PCB's
> > if you want a smaller system. :)
>
> One could also make use of transistor arrays to recreate the original
> RTL part.  Given that there were some 5000 of these packages in the
> original (IIRC), that might make for a project a bit too large to
> chew.  Given that integration is used to decrease this package count
> by 9/10ths, what's the problem with substituting some programmable
> logic?  How is that "less authentic" than substituting MSI TTL for
> SSI RTL?  One could use the extra space in the rack to store a six-
> pack of one's favorite beverage. :)

I'd say it's just a matter of preference of where one wants to draw the line.
Just for the sake of discussion, I'd suggest using SMD CMOS 4025 triple 3-input
NOR gates, or 7410 triple 3-input NAND gates with negative logic, to fairly
closely mimic the original implementation. (Might depend on whether wire-AND
connections were used much in the original.)