SCSI to IDE bridges...

Jim Brain brain at jbrain.com
Thu Sep 25 13:07:07 CDT 2008

Alexander Schreiber wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 10:08:57PM -0400, Doc Shipley wrote:
>
>> Chuck Guzis wrote:
>>

>>> Does CF as working storage even approach the reliability of a floppy?
>>> I can recall running 8" floppy read-write tests for many days at a
>>> stretch.
>>>
>>   I missed this first time around.
>>
>>   Of 20 or 30 CF cards I've used, only one was bad out of the box, and
>> I think a flaky connection killed that one.
>>
>>   Of the last 100-count tray of floppies I bought, at least 15 didn't
>> survive the first format, and another dozen or so didn't live through
>> the second overwrite.
>>
>>   That's my math and I'm sticking to it.
>>

> Floppies and reliability is just a sad topic. Back when floppies were
> still an integral part of the network (think Sneakernet), one brand got
> its brand name expanded to "Byte Abweisende SchutzFolie" (translated: "Byte
> rejecting protective sheet") because they were _that_ bad.
>
> Regards,
>       Alex.

Hehe, I think I have two boxes of 5.25 soft sectored disks of that
brand, still in the shrinkwrap.  Since they are so infamous, is anyone
interested in them?  I threw them in the pilke to go to the local CBM
show this weekend, but could pull them out.

Jim

--
Jim Brain, Brain Innovations                                      (X)
brain at jbrain.com
Dabbling in WWW, Embedded Systems, Old CBM computers, and Good Times!
Home: http://www.jbrain.com