Apollo 300 and 735 available (SW Georgia)

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 16:43:37 CDT 2009

Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 11:57:13 -0600 Richard <legalize at xmission.com> wrote:
>
>> 680x0 Apollo machines are becoming quite rare and deserve to be rescued.
> HP-UX is mentioned in the offer. So these aren't Apollos. One is a
> HP9000-735 (PA-RISC) and the other is some sort of HP9000-300 (M68k). They
> will nor run Domain/OS.

Hmm, I was thinking all of the non-Domain-capable "fake Apollo" systems were
PA-RISC, so I'd assumed this 300 was a 'real' Apollo; maybe Richard made that
mistake, too.

Now that you mention it, I do remember an HP machine in the 3xx range (I think
it may have been 315) passing through my hands which had he Apollo branding
but wasn't a genuine Apollo - I never did look under the covers to see what
CPU it was, though.

> The dual universe machines where the HP9000-400. They could be configured
> in HP-UX or Domain mode.

Yeah, I'd always thought that was true of the earlier ones, too - I didn't
realise that was just the 4xx line (those machines are *wonderful*; they purr
along nicely with Domain and the build quality's just fantastic. I'd love to
find one again...)

cheers

Jules