The VAX is running

Daniel Seagraves dseagrav at lunar-tokyo.net
Sat Apr 4 13:36:39 CDT 2009

A block is a sequence of tape frames. Those can be 7 or 8 bits wide
depending on your hardware. Blocks have length, and can vary in length
from block to block. You can have a small descriptor block between long
data blocks on the tape, where the small block describes what the next
large block contains, and so on. You can tell if a block is a
descriptor by its length, or looking for a magic number at the start of
the block, or whatever.

Tapes also have file-marks.