1966 Lunar Orbiter image tapes rescued in LA Times: via AmpexFR-900

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Sat Apr 18 13:24:20 CDT 2009

Pontus Pihlgren wrote:

> John Foust wrote:
> > http://articles.latimes.com/2009/mar/22/nation/na-lunar22
> >
> > http://www.moonviews.com/archives/2008/11/image_collection_from_a_garage.html
> >
> > http://neverworld.net/lunar/
> >
> > http://www.thelivingmoon.com/47john_lear/02files/Lunar_Orbiter_Tapes_Found.html
> >
> > http://twitter.com/lunarOrbiter
>
> Are these the same tapes mentioned here?
>
> http://thinkingshift.wordpress.com/2007/07/27/the-curious-case-of-lost-nasa-tapes/
>
> Pretty awesome though, that lady Evans is a real hero!

Looked like a really fun project to work on. I like the picture of the sleeping
bag laid out amidst the stacks of tapes in the "recovery laboratory" (abandoned
McDonalds restaurant).

There was some mention of the analog tape format but I wish there had been a
little more technical write-up of the old equipment and the transfer process
and issues they went through.