Remapping the HP150 keyboard

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 19 14:34:31 CDT 2009

> > [HP59401 HPIB analyser]
> >
> > > I got the user/service manual, it's handy when fixing the thing.
> >
> > Does this manual have any detailed information (ROM dumps,
> > state diagrams, etc) on the operation of the various state
> > machines in the instrument. It's the only bit I've not
> > seriously tried to understand yet.
>
> I'll have the ROM listings, if you want a scan let me know.
> No state machines, except a overview diagram.

That could be useful... If you have time to scan it sometime (no hurry,
my 59401 is working perfectly at the momnet), please send any scans to
tony_duell at yahoo.co.uk, and not here.

Thanks in advance for any help.

> > For doing quick tests on HPIB stuff like that, I find the
> > handiest thing to used is an HP71B + HPIL interface + HP82169
> > HPIL-HPIB translator.
>
> Why this combination and not a HP 9816 or other basic machine with HP-IB ?

It's a lot smaller for one thing (read : I can noramlly find space for a
71B on the bench, fiding space for a 9816 + disk drive is a bit harder!).
It has BASIC in ROM, I don't need to boot it from disk. And the HPIB
interface is not shared with the boot device, which means that whatever
the device-under-test is doing, it's not going to prevent the machine
from booting, or worse still corrupt the boot disk.

Yes, I _could_ configure my 9816 with ROM BASIC and/or a 98624 HPIB card
and avoid those problems, (I have both of those PCBs), but it still
wouldn't make space for it on the bench.