Odd DEC terminal?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 15:57:47 CDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Richard <legalize at xmission.com> wrote:

> In article <f4eb766f0904221259v22e47737xfb98f42b83523cc4 at mail.gmail.com>,
>    Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at gmail.com>  writes:
>
>> It sounds like the hand-held terminal I've seen in RA81 docs - there's
>> a DB25 and some sort of molex-type connector inside the RA81 to plug
>> into.  I think the 3 unmarked buttons are "shift" buttons for the
>> keypad.
>
> Is this is the one you're talking about?
> <http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/vintage/images/dec/RA81-field-service-terminal.png>

That is exactly the one I was talking about.

> I have one of those I picked up on ebay, and I had no idea where/how
> it was used, so thanks for mentioning the RA81 service manual :-).

Generically speaking, it's just a "terminal", but the RA81 has the
power plug for it right next to the DB25, meaning that they were made
to work together.  As Tony mentioned, you can hook a regular VT100 to
the RA81 (I've done that when diagnosing HDA faults), but for Field
Service, they can't assume that all customers will have a terminal
within 6' of the drive so they have a portable terminal to snoop on
the drive innards.

-ethan