More broken Apples...

Alexandre Souza alexandre-listas at e-secure.com.br
Sun Apr 26 15:46:15 CDT 2009

> A good idea! I'm pretty sure I did it when I first looked at these
> machines a while back, but it's worth rechecking. I'll give it another
> go. Maybe it's no coincidence that the one machine that works fine has
> most chips soldered directly to the board.

    It brings to my mind the Exato II Pro (search for it on the web) from
CCE (Brazil). It was a beautiful apple clone, with one of the best keyboards
I've ever used (similar or better than the GREAT IBM model "M"). It has a
row of 10 or 12, I'm not that sure, programable function keys on the top of
the keyboard. A real gem outside. But used one of the WORST IC sockets ever
made. It is so bad, but SO BAD, that I know of no one that operates well
today. And even one I had when they were new had the same problems. The
leaf-type sockets oxidised (wow, how do I spell it?) so fast that CCE had to
stop producing it and recall many of the computers made. I have two here,
maybe someday I'll change all the sockets and have a great machine for
playing.

    Interesting that most brazilian ][+ clones are equal in cabinet and even
in schematic. All brazilian apple ][+ boards (except Micro Engenho, MaXXi
and Laser 128 //c) are carbon copies one of another :o) Even the ones with
lower case are equal, but with a small board on the place of the character
ROM :oD